Monday 6 June 2011

The Parfait


This was my first Colette pattern I have ever made; in fact it is the first modern pattern I have ever made, as any patterns I have used in the past have been pre-1976!  It was as user friendly as the internet folks say it is, and I had no problems with it. 


I cut a size 2, which I now feel is a tag snug, it fits but I think I could’ve cut a 4 for the midriff and skirt and it would be more flattering.  I didn’t make a toile and was apprehensive that the bust would be too generous, as has been mentioned about Colette patterns, but it fits fine. 

I added 1/2 inch to the midriff length and decided against making buttonholes for the straps and just sewed them together adding decorative buttons, same for the pockets.  I also felt the pockets were too small for the design, so added 2 or so inches to the length and slipstiched them to the dress instead of topstitching.  I zigzagged the seams, which doesn’t look the best but it will do.


I used an invisible zip for the side, as instructed, and despite using them in the past with no problems, I managed to put it in incorrectly THREE times before getting it right!  I also found it tricky sewing the midriff pieces to the bust, so snipping the seam allowance on the bust piece at regular intervals, almost to the sewing line, before sewing them together, really helped in making it sit flat in order to stitch it. 

I used self fabric for the lining pieces, as per the pattern instructions, but if I made it again from cotton or a heavier fabric, I would probably use lining fabric, as I felt it was a bit too thick overall along with the interfacing too.


I choose to contrast the seagull fabric with black because the dusky pink colour is not the most flattering to my skin tone, so the black makes it less wishy washy.  I got the fabric from a charity shop years ago, it was £2.50 for 5+ yards in a very wide width, and already have a halter dress I made from it, which I rarely wear due to the colour, so I hope the addition of the black will prevent the Parfait suffering the same fate. 

The fabric is a pain to press, it creases so easily and retains them, and I think it looks a bit shoddy due to this.  I want to make up a couple more in prettier prints and more slinky fabric.

I have another Colette pattern, Ceylon, but after reading Zoe’s account I have been slightly put off!

4 comments:

  1. Despite the crease problems it does look a lovely dress and I don't think that I have ever seen seagulls used in a design before.Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely job with choosing fabrics I think it truly accentuates the vintage look and the pattern. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete