Finally, I started and finished something, all in the space of 3 weeks (I know, that’s not exactly speedy, especially as I have had oodles of free time due to the gammy ankle, but c’mon, years of inaction and laziness can’t be overcome instantly…). I wore it today for an outing to Llantwit Major beach as the weather here is glorious, though the pics were taken in my far less picturesque back garden!
I made bound buttonholes, as I don’t have a buttonhole foot for my new machine and couldn’t be arsed to get out my old one, and I forgot how simple they are to make, other than getting the lips even. This was made more awkward by my using bias squares I think, which were advised by a 70s sewing book - unless the bias is a design feature, if using stripes for example, then I think straight grain would behave more. I added a belt too. Buttons and buckle are vintage from my stash and the pretty, flocked cotton was given to me by a friend’s mum. The lining was from a charity shop for around 50p, so cost was practically zero.
I am more than halfway through making a dress, as I tend to have several things on the go at once, so if something is going awry, I can switch focus.
My next project will be a 1970s pattern I won from the lovely Miss W’s giveaway, of The Creative Miss W, as I wrote that if I won, I would make it next!